Sunday, November 12, 2006

Troubled Waters

Hey, everyone. I have a lot of things I want to talk about here -- such as an update to my bisexuality post, and a celebration of the recently departed Redstockings feminist and ex-New Yorker music reviewer Ellen Willis and discuss some of her more controversial stances, and what I think about the Veteran Feminists of the USA and Borat debacle, and so forth, but actually friends, I am really not doing very well at all. Like quite a few of you, I have spent some time in the psychiatric gaze. I have my reasons for being compliant in some instances and not-so-compliant in others, but overall, I trust the legitimacy of my diagnosis and treatment. For those of you who are explicitly anti-psychiatry, I respect your opinions, but please, don't treat me or any other (willing) psychiatric patient like we're fucking morons who just don't know any better to leave the big bad psychiatric daddy-rapist, and we need to go through CR in order to learn to kick the psychiatry habit along with the heels and the marriage licenses and the razors. Please. I suggest you build yourself a bridge, and get over it.

But back to me! So I am heavily depressed, and trying to build my own bridge of sorts, but it's been slow going. I don't know how active I'll be -- I honestly thought the worst of it was over, but now I'm thinking, perhaps not. In any event, you know the Vickster will be around. Maybe if we all treat her really nicely, she'll be doubly mean to make up for my slack.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edith, I send you love and support. I hope you are feeling at least able to get the treatment you want. I know how it feels to be so down that even asking for help is too hard. You sound like you know what you're doing though! I love that term "psychiatric gaze". Get better soon, and remember that this depression will lift, either with the help of medication or therapy or both. It really isn't permanent.
(blogger isn't letting me sign in, I'm not anonymous really! I'm Pippa, One Salford Feminist! Sounds like a superhero to me!)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I was really sad that Borat apparently cut out the "chair-lifting" scene. I hope that we can get a letter-writing campaign going and convince the directors/Sacha Cohen/producers to put it into the DVD.

After all, since Borat "dumbed down" his methods of exposing social problems (see this article), you'd think he could also "dumb down" his methods of exposing reality. He should make sure that even though he's made it easier for viewers to leave saying, "Well, that's those freaks, not me," he's also given those same viewers who think they don't have any prejudices a subtle reminder of what they should think about traditionally stereotyped-against groups of people if they want to consider themselves unprejudiced. (For example, they should think that, like chair-lifting, most things men say they can do that women can't are ridiculous.)

That scene, if reinserted, would make me more accepting of the dumbed-down exposure of prejudice. I'm a little more okay with people getting to "other" bigots as long as they're also getting subconscious messages about how to be a good not-bigot.

7:22 AM  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a severe depression. What Pippa said is true: it will get better, it is NOT permanent.

I'll be thinking of you, and in your honor I'll be extra mean to everyone.
(((Edith)))

10:32 AM  
Blogger Heart said...

Hey, Edith, I hear you. Everybody I both know and respect is struggling emotionally, psychically, mentally, spiritually, whatever, it hurts, it's real. This time of year is hard for so many people, too cold, too dark, too wet, too long, too gray like despair. It can be the last straw.

Whatever helps, however you can get it, take it!

Heart

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And feminist support.

Bolleaux to 'em, I say. The bastards.

Fuck it Edith. Just get well and prove them all wrong, the bastards.

Loving and missing you.

8:20 PM  
Blogger lost clown said...

Darling (((((((hugs)))))))))
I know what you're saying. We need to do a med change for me, but finals are coming up and after the last debacle I'm scared, but I also can't concentrate, so I don't know which is worse. Thinking about you.

1:44 PM  
Blogger AradhanaD said...

Hi there, you don't know me - I read your blog occasionally. I tried to post a shorter version of some advice here the other day, but it got wiped off because I didn't log in. So I decided to write a post about it on my blog. I know too many people who are feeling depressed lately. having been there myself - I know what a horrendous experience it is. I hope you don't mind my advice. I do not know if it will help you at all. Cheers and best wishes.

leftistlooneylunch.blogspot. com/2006/11/getting-out-of-depression-some-personal.html
(dead link - remove spaces)

AD

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home