Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Testing 1 - 2 - 3

So, here's the pitch for my radio gig. For the next few months I will have my own radio spot for two to three minutes every week, which different KRCL DJs can then play on their shows. The format and content of these mini commentaries will be entirely up to me. I have complete creative control over the spots. I'll be the writer, reader, and producer. If you've ever heard the little commentary bits done by Jim Hightower, that's a good example of the kind of thing I will be doing. Right now my concept for it is providing little facts and jabs about feminist issues of the moment and also giving some recommendations and reviews of different movies, books, or cds which I find interesting. But I definitely need some suggestions on what to talk about. My not-so-hypothetical question to all the people who read this blog is: if you had three minutes to talk about any feminist thing you wanted to, what would you want to say? What has the mainstream media and even mainstream feminism been missing lately? What facts are out there that you think everyone should know? What issues get you the most upset lately? Oh and if these radio spots go well, in a few months I may get my own full radio show. Wish me luck ladies!

5 Comments:

Blogger ms. jared said...

that's so great, vicky! i think you should talk about how women's voices are ignored or left out of most mainstream media. ann bartow posted an interesting article about it on feminist law profs: http://feministlawprofs.law.sc.edu/?p=1085

i'm so, so glad there will be a radical feminist voice on the airwaves at last. hooray! break a leg!
xoxo, jared

5:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I don't know...but if you want one recommendation of mine to a radical feminist ally who still manages to write in a way that doesn't alienate non-radicals, check out Luke at http://realmenarenot.com/

Also, the main excerpt from "Female Chauvinist Pigs" on that book's site is another blip of text that contains radical ideas but presents them in a way that even non-radicals consider common-sensical and rational.

That, in my opinion, is the most important thing to emulate. Good luck!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Jonathan Horowitz. Didn't know if you got my post on plans, but I think you should focus on the fact that men's violence against women is never reported as such, and that violence has become "gender neutral", when in fact it isn't. Give me an email or call if you're interested. Will you post transcripts anywhere?

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an organization I am really excited about and that is Christians For Biblical Equality, dedicated to Biblical feminism. They can be found at cbeinternaitonal.org. I hope you will talk about them on your show. There are real theological underpinnings to prejudice, and sexism in particular, and until that changes, nothing else will truly be different. That is an area that needs to be honestly and openly explored, and CBE does a great job of it.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That address should be cbeinternational.org. Sorry for the misspelling.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home