Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Victory for Vicky?

So there's good news on the radio station front today. After sending my second response letter to KRCL, I received an email from the Program Director asking me to call him so we could talk about it more. I was pretty busy the last few days and didn't get a chance to do so, but then he sent me the following email on Monday:

Hello Vicky,

I was hoping to be able to speak with you. In lew of a phone conversation, I will pitch my idea to you via email.

I spent last Thursday evening reading your blog, Sometimes Feminists Aren't Nice. I was very impressed. I'd like to speak with you about Vicky Vengeance participating with KRCL.

Last year my producer Troy Williams and I brain stormed an idea for a new anti-assimilationist queer program. We felt that the contemporary Queer Liberation Movement needed a radical counter balance. We felt that the modern incarnation of queer rights was a Trojan horse for conservative values: marriage, army and children. Thus, Now Queer This was born. I want to use Now Queer This as a model for other public affairs programs. I want a stronger feminist presence at KRCL. I want this presence to be younger and more radical than the traditional discussions currently held in the media. I'd like to speak with you about helping to bring these discussions to the broader public. If you have any interest, please contact me.

Thank you for your time.

Ryan Tronier
Program Director
KRCL 90.9FM
(801) 363-1818

That's right people. KRCL has now offered me a job doing radical feminism on the radio because of my letter and because of this blog. WOAH. Now you see why they're my favorite radio station? Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about this. Who could have guessed that being my usual uppity, bitchy self would lead to this? Certainly not me!!! Anyway, we're going to meet this week so I can find out more of the details. Right now I'm totally picturing myself as one of the badass Lady DJs in the awesome feminist movie Born In Flames (which came out on DVD just this summer and sells for the low low price of 22 dollars!). If this does indeed turn into an actual radio program, I will of course keep you updated about it. Thank you for all the support you've given Edith and me over the past few months on this blog. I hope this cheers you all up about whatever feminist battle you're currently fighting and keeps you blogging up a storm.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Do it! DO IT!!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Yeah! Good for you for starting this in the first place.

Woo-hoo!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Phemisaurus Terribilis said...

Keep us updated Ms. Vengeance! We'll be tuned in.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Edith said...

Spotted Elephant raises some good points that made me laugh and choke on my spit. That, and yes, like, how much did my copy of Born in Flames, the VHS version, cost? Was it $3, Vicky? Was it indeed. (And did I just like rewatch it like two weeks ago? I did indeed.)

You make me swoon.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow, thats fantastic! :)

5:02 AM  
Blogger Pippa said...

That is fantastic! I wish we could hear you in the UK!! Go for it. Pippa xx

6:25 AM  
Blogger ms. jared said...

wow, that's so great! how wonderful! knock 'em dead, sister!
xoxo, jared

10:09 AM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

Congratulations!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I think your first official act should be to play "Goodbye Earl" on the radio. See how they like them apples.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful. Congratulations!! If it's streaming, let us know when to tune in.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home