Saturday, October 21, 2006

Get Your Gore On! Literally!

So I got my period yesterday and as an accidental experiment that occurred to me today, I am planning on wearing a red item of clothing every day until it's over. Yesterday I just so happened to pick a red button-down shirt (that I absolutely adore! It has four pockets! Maximum pocketage!) and today I decided I would wear my red shoes. It got me wondering, what would it be like, if during the time women menstruated we all wore something red? Sure not everyone would do it, and sure people could still wear red on non-special non-menstruation occasions, but it could be like the LGBTQ rainbow. The minute you see those adorable shoelaces, you're in the know. What would it be like to suddenly be aware of this oh so womanly, biological fact of daily life? To look at the women you know and realize their vagina is bleeding AS WE SPEAK. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Today at my KRCL training we listened to a clip from Kathryn Stockton, big wig at the Gender Studies department at the University of Utah and feminist author. Part of what she talked about was the gendered significance of what we wear, that we wear our genitals on the outside through the clothing, hair cut, and accessories we choose. What if we took the point a bit further and in a dramatic flash of pride, we all started wearing red, or wearing t-shirts with witty slogans about our periods? For example, I like "Blood Power!!!" (written in a drippy, oozy font) or "Got Blood?" on the front, and on the back: "In YOUR PANTS?!" I'm picturing the simple, heroic image of a tampon, bright red, replacing the S in the Superman logo. How fucking awesome would that be people?! You could look and see when you and a friend of yours are on the rag simultaneously, thus graduating to that unholiest of bonds: BLOODY BUDDIES. OH. YEEEEEEAH.

7 Comments:

Blogger lost clown said...

But red's my colour! I wear it everyday. (And my hair's bright red to match!)

Other then that I like the idea, but not the tampons (dioxin filled tss scariness.) I'll keep my keeper, thanks.

(I used to don "war paint" from my keeper to let everyone know I was bleeding. i loved it.)

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. You're adorable as all hell and I love you. Blood Power!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Vicky Vengeance said...

Woah Lost Clown. War paint? Hard-fucking-core.

Oh and Soleil, no YOU'RE adorable. ;)

12:06 AM  
Blogger lost clown said...

It's fun. I think everyone should do it once. I'll never forget Kip's face (bartender at Lovejoys) when George told him what it was on my face. I was told the ensuing night that it was a health code violation. Apparently Kip made a big stink (stupid boy).

12:02 AM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I was hoping this was a post about Al Gore....

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. I've tried it, but currently don't own enough red clothing to keep it up the whole week.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Camille- who strangely carried red camellias one week a month when her lover couldn't visit her, white the rest of the month- pretty baldly symbolic for so old a movie, I thought!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home