Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Book Survey

Ms. V has done tagged us to fill out the book survey that's been going around. So lo! Here it is.

1. One book that changed your life?
Edith sez: Sexual Politics by Kate Millett.
Vicky sez: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

2. One book you have read more than once?
Edith sez: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
Vicky sez: Otherwise by Jane Kenyon

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Edith sez: My old sea scout manual, since it would keep me alive. Look at me, being all practical.
Vicky sez: A Massive Ridiculous Norton Anthology that would take me a thousand hours to read

4. One book that made you laugh?
Edith sez: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. And yes, in a good way.
Vicky sez: The Portable Dorothy Parker

5. One book that made you cry?
Edith sez: Sita by Kate Millett. It inspired self-pity.
Vicky sez: Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg.

6. One book you wish had been written?
Edith sez: A feminist anthology without a single mention of being straight, pretty, sexy, nice, or guilty. I dare to dream.
Vicky sez: Oh man, there are sooooo many it's ridiculous. How about this: How to Organize a Proactive, Successful Feminist Revolution on a Massive Scale Right Now

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Edith sez: The Bible. Or The Iliad. One or the other.
Vicky sez: Everything Freud writes about women.

8. One book you are currently reading?
Edith sez: A collection of short stories by women writers called This Is Not Chick Lit, which is really great, despite it's totally mean title and random "Chick lit sux!" quote from Gloria Steinem on the back. I loved the Curtis Sittenfeld story about a volunteer for a children's program at a domestic violence shelter, probably for obvious reasons. Now I am rethinking my aversion to reading her novel Prep that everyone has praised so damn much. What say y'all?
Vicky sez: Carnivore Diet by Julia Slavin, Sexual Politics by Kate Millett, Love Poems by Anne Sexton, and a graphic novel adaptation of H.G. Wells. Oh my God I am a nerd.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Edith sez: Mountains Beyond Mountains, which is overdue, and about Dr. Paul Farmer.
Vicky sez: From Housewife to Heretic, on loan from a friend. Also, The Waves by Virginia Woolf.

10. Now tag five people.
Well, okay!
The Happy Feminist,
Ms. Jared,
Yawning Lion,
soopermouse,
Heart

7 Comments:

Blogger Pippa said...

I loooove Julia Slavin!! I never before came accross anyone else who read her stuff. Have you read "The Woman Who Cut off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club" ? My personal favourite is Dentaphilia. Yum.

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has come to my attention that the liberal left have distorted the English language by making up non-sensical phrases to describe things and activities that have been easily defined for hundreds of years. The true meanings of these propagandish phrases are as follows:
Embrace diversity-love a nigger, spic, wap, chink, or sand nigger
Empower women-have politicians looking for votes allow the courts to become communistic tools to give women money from fathers getting screwed by the system so they won't tax the welfare wystem and get handouts with less shame
gay rights-allow fags and dykes to sodomise and copulate without getting castrated or de-cunt lipped
domestic violence-what happens when a husband catches his bitch sucking his neighbors dick
wetland-a worthless swamp that should be used for a garbage dump but liberals want it for "wildlife"
undocumented alien-a spic in the USA illegally
politically correct-what the unhappy commentors to this post will attempt to define so readers will think they are "in the know" and "cool"for sure!!!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*****Breaking News!!!***** Giant Fat Man Implicated in Posting Binge

The world recoiled today when it was revealed that a man of planetismal girth was using online communications in a posting binge of unprecedented duration and pointlessness.

Early reports indicate the quasi-retarded text strings may be the result of severe isolation, masturbation fatigue, and general malaise due to fatness.

"His pasty white flab is most likely coated with foul, fish-stinking perspiration," remarked Dr. Maurice Falain, head of the Obesity wing of St. Mary's Hospital in Toronto. Pointing to a picture of the tubby typist, Falain was emphatic in his denunciation. "If you look closely here, you can actually see the smells coming from this lardy tool. God, he's rank, and is really, really fat. I'm sorry, it's unprofessional of me to speak this way. But I cannot abide this fat, maggot-white fucking loser any longer. Get out."

1:04 PM  
Blogger ms. jared said...

hey edith, have you moved to san francisco yet?

xoxo, jared

12:41 PM  
Blogger ms. jared said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Vicky Vengeance said...

Oh my God Pippa, I just got back. So sorry it took me forever to respond, but YES! I've never met someone who's read her either! And "Dentaphilia" is totally my favorite story from that collection too. Call me a romantic, but I like my love stories nice and freakish. But yeah, Carnivore Diet is kind of disappointing in comparison to the massive awesomeness of her short stories. It feels like she doesn't know where she's going without the big surreal devices she uses in the stories. Do you have any recommendations of other people like her? I like Aimee Bender a lot too and she strikes me as pretty similar.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh -- I am so excited. I found this belatedly because for some reason, I misplaced your blog address. I have found this site again though and will be adding it to my blogroll so I won't lose you again.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home