Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Shiny Happy People Flippin' The Bird - More on Being Meanies

I've been rereading Kate Millett's Sexual Politics for the third time because, um, that's how I roll. Anyway, I'll be doing a series of posts on Kate Millett soon, because I just can't help it. I hope it's not too boring. I also hope I convert you, if you're not already a big Kate Millett fan.

It's come to my attention that my FAQs had neither any questions or answers in any degree of frequency. In fact, one might argue that having any sort of FAQs in a blog that has been around for two weeks might be a bit optimistic. Let's be really honest: FAQs in a first post? Wha-at?! What kind of bullshit is that, you fucking poseur?!

As a mean feminist, I am mean even to myself.

But basically, I didn't really explain the purpose of this blog because I thought it was obvious. Like, it's to be feministy! And mean! But I guess "feminist" and "mean" mean different things to different folks, so I'm posting this as a bit of a clarification.

"Mean" feminism is not so much a description of this blog and its future contents as a warning. This is not a safe space. I realize that safe spaces are very, very important. Happily, there are many safe spaces for feminists out there online, some of which I have listed in a disorganized way among the links over there on the right (check 'em out). Personally, I question the ability for the internet to provide any kind of literal safe space for anyone, period. That said, some spaces are still arguably "safer" than others, and I respect that.

What do I mean about this blog not being a safe space? Well, part of it is based on who I will let comment: anyone. Another part is that all posts are open to everyone to read. But more specifically is that this particular blog, unlike many others, is open to unfettered debate and discourse. I hope never to have to use my authority to shut anyone up or down. If you want to tell me off, you can. If you want to tell someone else in my comments off, you can. If you want to suggest a rant on something you don't have the guts to totally take on yourself, I will laugh at you, and point, but go right ahead.

Really though, I'm hoping it doesn't come to a whole lot of nastiness (and don't think I don't realize that I'm being WAY naive in thinking that anymore than five people will ever read this itty bitty blog). Mostly I'm just hoping people will allow themselves to be critical and not engage in a lot of false flattery. And I really need this.

I know, I know: in-fighting is bad for feminism. Lots of feminists say this. But I think in-fighting is ONLY bad if it becomes so taboo that we repress our resentments, quietly seethe, and then explode in total violence. Call me crazy, but I think if we actually SAY what's on our mind, regardless of how reluctant we are to say it, we're all far better off in the long run.

But like I said: mean feminism is a warning, not a law. Not everything here will be mean or controversial or even remotely interesting to anyone other than me (like my Kate Millett posts, I bet). 'Cause like, dudettes, it's a blog. And blogs are often not very interesting to anyone other than the blogger (whoa! Now THAT is controversial).

Now a total 180! I am pleased to report that this blog is now totally, like, a team! My aforementioned life partner Vicky Vengeance has joined this blog! She and I have had many dual projects together, like being co-DJs at our college radio station for about a minute before I got kicked out of school for going crazy again, handing out Rock Her Vote pins at a zine conference full of suspicious cool kids who looked at our shiny happy faces like we were The Man, and calling each other on the phone when we're supposed to be on a date with someone else. Let's hope this one is less short-lived and less altogether depressing than those other collaborations!

8 Comments:

Blogger ms. jared said...

i agree with you that we all need to speak our minds rather than quietly seethe but you're still full of shit

ha! just kidding! i was just trying out my own mean feminist side. it still works. yay!

i still haven't read kate millet but i think i have "sexual politics" at home. or is it on my wishlist? either way, i'm gonna read it and i look forward to your posts even though i clearly requested SEXISM AND ATHEISM as your next topic.

hee again! look at me being mean and demanding! it's fun! yay!

anyhoo. back to work. psyched you started your own blog and that vicky's joining you.

xoxo, jared

5:00 PM  
Blogger Edith said...

Ms. Jared,

You know what?!?!?! Screw you!!! That's right!!! You think it's easy, being a big fucker?!?!?! You think it's EASY AS PUSSY PIE, RIGHT?!?!?

Just for that, I'm gonna change the whole thing. Sexism? Atheism? I don't even know what those words mean!

Maybe next time I'll write about my ass, and how people should kiss it, if they expect anything from me!

LUVIES!!

:)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Phemisaurus Terribilis said...

So, when can we start - you know - being mean?

8:49 AM  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

If you think you're gonna swing me from Andrea Dworkin to Kate Millet, well you're a fucking pusbag.

OK, I'm not good at traditional meanness, but then people think I'm mean because I say what's on my mind. All the freaking time.

So I can't call you a fucking pusbag without squirming. (Most impressed with Jared's meanness though!) But I can say that a feminist community in which everyone has to make nice is going to accomplish...nothing, dammit.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Edith said...

Phemisaurus (LOVE the name), we gotta ease into the meanity. Unfortunately, we have not lived in a world where feminism meanity is very easily digested. And like, I'm just trying not to make people constipated.

But fear not! Meanity will soon be all upons!

And spotted elephant, I obviously can't dis the great Andrea Dworkin so instead I'll do it in a round-a-bout way: WHATEVER! EVERYONE THINKS SHE'S THE BESTEST! Like, whoaaa, that's SOOOO original! You'll see! You'll see why my FFF has a bigger dick than YOUR FFF!!!

1:39 PM  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Oh yeah?

PPPBBBBTHTTHHHHHSSSSSSSSSS

9:13 AM  
Blogger Phemisaurus Terribilis said...

Well Edith,

I'm actually getting constipated from holding in all that meaness. Relief couldn't come too soon... And I don't much care about peoples inability to digest feminist meanity, in fact they can choke on it for all I care. Pfff.

But I get your point. I'll just go away and sharpen my claws in the meantime.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see some posts on Kate Millett. I have to confess that my knowledge of feminist thinkers and writers is appallingly poor.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home